Monday 24 May 2021

In the Dime Stores and Bus Stations

My love she speaks like silence

Without ideals or violence

She doesn’t have to say she’s faithful


Yet she’s true, like ice, like fire

People carry roses

Make promises by the hours

My love she laughs like the flowers

Valentines can’t buy her


In the dime stores and bus stations

People talk of situations


Read books, repeat quotations

Draw conclusions on the wall

Some speak of the future

My love she speaks softly

She knows there’s no success like failure

And that failure’s no success at all


The cloak and dagger dangles

Madams light the candles

In ceremonies of the horsemen

Even the pawn must hold a grudge

Statues made of matchsticks

Crumble into one another

My love winks, she does not bother

She knows too much to argue or to judge


The bridge at midnight trembles

The country doctor rambles

Bankers’ nieces seek perfection



Expecting all the gifts that wise men bring

The wind howls like a hammer

 

The night blows cold and rainy

My love she’s like some raven

At my window with a broken wing


Love Minus Zero/No Limit

 

No comments: