Sunday, 20 May 2007
Postcard of the Day
La Grande Roue was constructed in 1900 for the Exposition universelle and was a long established feature of the Parisian skyline in 1914 when our English visitor purchased this card. This was no more than 2 years after Robert Delaunay had included La Grande Roue in his painting, “Les Trois Fenêtres, la tour et la roue” (Museum of Modern Art, New York, click here to see it). Delaunay concluded his Window series of paintings in 1914.
At the time Henry was writing to Katie the First World War was only 5 weeks away so it is comforting to know that he was having such a relaxing time. Henry gave his address as 19 Rue St Severin. A few years previously, in 1909-10, Delaunay produced a series of paintings of the interior of the church of Saint-Séverin. When the Saint-Séverin paintings were exhibited they attracted the admiration of both Apollinaire and Kandinsky and formed the foundation of Delaunay’s artistic reputation.