Sunday, 11 October 2009
Past and Present: Le Cirque d’Hiver
Two views of the Cirque d’Hiver as seen from the rue des Filles du Calvaire outside the Métro station of the same name. The circus has been operated from October to March by the Bouglione family since 1934. The building appears little changed in the years since it was constructed in 1852, although a comparison with a photo taken in 2004 (click here to see) suggests an external makeover in recent times. It has been claimed that Seurat’s last great painting (Cirque, 1890-91) was based on Cirque d’Hiver but there is no critical agreement on this point with most authorities favouring the Cirque Médrano at the junction of bd. Rochechouart and rue des Martyrs as the initial inspiration.